Three Men and a Lady!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cancelled Campout

Due to inclement weather ( us becoming wimpy) and a surprising "DECLINED" day off our family camping trip was cancelled.  We were a little surprised to find out even though Paul requested the day off several months ago, his boss "misplaced" his request and he was forced to work Friday.  I was a little bummed and really kind of hurt he wouldn't be spending the day with us.  
"I forgive you Mr. Boss and I pray you take the time one day to spend an entire day with your family, I think you will find you can have a wonderful time, mo matter what you do.  Work will be there tomorrow and no amount of money compares to the value of your children and spouse. "

Easton and I dropped Owen off at school and ran a few errands.  We picked up Owen at 10:30, packed up the van and headed east!  We made a stop at McDonald's (I know not the most nutritious, but going once every few months won't damage the kids) and had lunch. 

We arrived in Rochester about noon and the quest to find our destination began.  If you know me you probably are aware I am pretty good at directions.  My husband (bless him), is directionally challenged and I made the mistake of calling him on our way to give me guidance.  However, in this case it was not him, but and Internet "map" that led me in the wrong direction.  After about literally 45 minutes and a few "please be quiet (s)" to the kids, I found my way. 

The boys were asleep and I, having bore two children, desperately needed to find the restroom when arrived at the Quarry Hill Nature Center in Rochester.

Once everyone was awake and relieved we explored entire place.  Some of our favorites were:
*the bee hive
*bird watching room
*the library
*watching turtles (literally of every kind)
*looking under the microscope
*the giant T-Rex skull

What a wonderful place full of adventure, discovery and education.  We definitely will go back.  It began to rain while we were there so we were unable to enjoy the trails, but the boys and I took a quick walk around the pond and the butterfly garden before Owen said he was ready to go.

We then drove north and headed to the camper.  The sun came out and the boys played on the deck while I unpacked the van.  Mimi and Papa arrived a hour later and I started a fire to make dinner (Pizza Pockets).  Paul drove down after work and we stayed until after supper on Saturday.

Owen had a blast playing with his new remote control boat from Aunt Kelly.  Paul, Papa and Uncle Eric spent most of the day fishing and were successful.  I read a few chapters in my book, "Bringing Up Boys" and Easton took a few good naps and played. 

So the weekend didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped, but in all we enjoyed ourselves and our time together.  We slept in a little this morning, cuddled for a while and all went to church.   We ate a simple lunch and Easton was more then ready for a nap.   Now we are bundling up the "Klan" and getting ready to leave for the apple orchard.  I think some together time and apple crisp will be the perfect end to a perfectly unplanned weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment